What Kind of Pain After Dental Surgery Is Abnormal?
You’re probably expecting some type of discomfort after dental surgery in Canoga Park, CA. Ideally, your dentist would have given you some indication of this well before you agreed to the procedure. However, you may be wondering how bad it should be and what constitutes an abnormal reaction. We look at whether you should be concerned.
Pain, bleeding, swelling: these are not necessarily signs of a problem. As time goes by, the pain should get better. Follow the directions of your dentist in Valencia, CA, which may mean refraining from strenuous activity for a few days or only eating soft foods for a week. For those who’ve had a tooth pulled, you should avoid straws as it can potentially loosen the blood clot that forms at the site of the pulling.
You should be concerned if you experience any of the following:
- Severe lightheadedness/trouble breathing: This is rare, so there’s no reason to expect this by any stretch. However, you may have a poor reaction to the surgery in this case, so it’s important to seek emergency help if you feel like you might pass out or you can’t get enough air.
- Severe pain: Usually, over-the-counter medication can handle a lot of the pain. Or you may need to rely on prescription medicine from your dentist. If the pain doesn’t get any better after taking the meds, you should seek immediate care.
- Split incision: An open incision can be a major health hazard, so you’ll need to get it closed up immediately if it splits.
- Infection: Severe heat, redness, and swelling are not normal. If the pain is getting worse or you have red streaks from the surgical site, draining pus, or a fever, you may have an infection.
- Nausea: If you can’t keep down fluids or you’re having a severe stomachache, you’ll need to contact your dentist or the ER for help.
Dentists in Valencia, CA
Heritage Oral Surgery has locations in Canoga Park, Valencia, and Palmdale, CA, and our staff is here to help you get through any surgery you might need. From root canals to extractions, we do everything we can to make your experience as quick and painless as possible.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!