1. Patients who will be having either a general anesthetic or intravenous sedation must have NO FOOD OR DRINK, INCLUDING WATER gum mints or other beverages, FOR AT LEAST SIX HOURS PRIOR TO SURGERY. It is preferable to have a light meal the night before surgery.
2. Oral hygiene must be excellent prior to surgery. Therefore, during the 2 to 3 days prior to surgery, brush your teeth with toothpaste and use mouthwash several times a day. On the day of surgery, before reporting to the office, brush and rinse with mouthwash. Do not drink any water.
3. Please discontinue the use of tobacco for as long as possible prior to your appointment. Smoking may delay healing and create increased discomfort following surgery.
4. Please wear comfortable clothing to the office on the day of your surgery. SHORT SLEEVES and low heels are advised. Please feel free to bring in an Mp3 player with headphones if would like to listen to your own music.
5. If you wear hard contact lenses and are being sedated or having a general anesthetic, please bring your contact lens case with you or remove them at home. (Extended wear contacts are O.K.)
6. All patients having intravenous sedation or general anesthesia must be accompanied by a responsible adult at the time of surgery. The driver must remain in the office until the patient has been released, and can not leave the office at any time during the procedure.
7. All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
8. All patients having intravenous sedation or general anesthesia SHOULD NOT DRIVE AN AUTOMOBILE OR OPERATE MACHINERY FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE DAY.
Patients can download our office preoperative instructions form here.